Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
Conveniently located to serve Denver Metro, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs.
Functional Medicine’s Approach to Ulcerative Colitis
At Spire Health Pathways, we understand that living with ulcerative colitis can be a significant challenge, impacting many areas of your life. Our functional medicine approach to treatment focuses on addressing the root causes of your symptoms to provide long-term relief and improved quality of life.
What is Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is a type of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) that causes inflammation and sores in the lining of the large intestine and rectum. It is a chronic condition that can cause a range of symptoms and complications. Ulcerative colitis can affect anyone, but is more commonly diagnosed in people aged 15 to 30, and 50 to 70.
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
The symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis (UC) can vary widely depending on the location and severity of the inflammation in the colon. The most common symptoms include:
- Abdominal pain and cramping: Pain can range from mild to severe and often occurs after eating.
- Diarrhea: This can be frequent and may contain blood or mucus.
- Rectal bleeding: This can occur in severe cases of inflammation.
- Fatigue: Patients often experience fatigue due to the chronic inflammation and nutrient deficiencies.
- Loss of appetite: Patients may experience a loss of appetite and weight loss.
- Nausea and vomiting: This can occur due to the inflammation or side effects of medication.
- Urgency to have a bowel movement
Types of Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
Ulcerative colitis can be classified into several types based on the location and severity of inflammation:
- Ulcerative proctitis: inflammation is limited to the rectum
- Proctosigmoiditis: inflammation affects the rectum and sigmoid colon
- Left-sided colitis: inflammation extends from the rectum to the splenic flexure
- Pancolitis: inflammation affects the entire colon
How Ulcerative Colitis Affects Your Life
Ulcerative colitis can have a significant impact on your daily life. The unpredictable nature of symptoms can make it difficult to plan activities or leave the house. Symptoms such as fatigue, weight loss, and anemia can also impact your ability to work or participate in social activities. Additionally, the emotional toll of living with a chronic illness can be significant.
Functional Medicine Approach to Treating Ulcerative Colitis
Our approach to treating ulcerative colitis may include:
- – Comprehensive lab testing to identify underlying imbalances or deficiencies
- – Dietary and lifestyle modifications to reduce inflammation and support gut health
- – Supplementation to address nutrient deficiencies and support healing
- – Probiotics and other targeted therapies to restore healthy gut flora and reduce inflammation
- – Stress reduction techniques to support overall health and well-being
Potential Costs of Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
If you are interested in learning more about our functional medicine approach to treating ulcerative colitis or to schedule a consultation, please contact us at [insert contact information]. We look forward to working with you to achieve your health goals.
Learn More About Our Services
Lifestyle & Environmental
Autoimmune & Allergic
Neurologic & Mental Health
Spire Health Pathways
“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will instruct his patients in care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.” – Thomas Edison