Spire Health Pathways Plan For Swelling
Conveniently located to serve Denver Metro, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs.
Swelling: What it is and How Functional Medicine Can Help
Swelling is a common symptom that can result from various underlying conditions, and it can affect any part of the body, including the feet, legs, arms, and face. At Spire Health Pathways, we provide comprehensive functional medicine services to help our patients understand and manage swelling, providing a holistic approach that considers the underlying causes and contributing factors of swelling.
What is Swelling?
Swelling, or edema, refers to the accumulation of fluid in the tissues that leads to a visible enlargement of the affected area. It can be caused by various factors such as injury, inflammation, infection, hormonal changes, medication side effects, or underlying health conditions such as heart or kidney problems.
Types of Swelling
Swelling can be classified based on the location, duration, and cause of the swelling. These include:
- Localized swelling: affecting a specific area, such as an ankle or joint
- Generalized swelling: affecting the entire body, such as during pregnancy or certain medical conditions
- Acute swelling: sudden onset, usually in response to an injury or inflammation
- Chronic swelling: long-term or recurring, often due to an underlying medical condition
There are also two different types of swelling, including:
- Peripheral edema: This type of swelling occurs in the arms, legs, hands, and feet.
- Generalized edema: This type of swelling occurs throughout the body and is typically associated with an underlying medical condition.
Symptoms of Swelling
Swelling can cause a range of symptoms depending on the underlying cause and location of the swelling. These symptoms may include:
- Visible swelling or enlargement of the affected area
- Pain or tenderness in the affected area
- Stiffness or limited range of motion
- Skin changes such as redness, warmth, or tightness
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath in severe cases
How Swelling Affects Your Life
Swelling can have a significant impact on your daily life, including limiting your mobility, causing discomfort and pain, and affecting your self-esteem. It can also indicate an underlying health problem that requires further evaluation and treatment to prevent complications.
The Functional Medicine Approach to Treating Swelling
- – Nutritional counseling to address potential deficiencies or food sensitivities that may be contributing to swelling
- – Reducing Inflammation: Inflammation is often the root cause of swelling, and reducing inflammation can help reduce swelling. This can be achieved through dietary changes, supplementation, and lifestyle modifications.
- – Improving Circulation: Improving circulation can help reduce swelling by allowing fluid to drain more effectively. This can be achieved through exercise, manual therapies, and targeted nutritional support.
- – Addressing Underlying Causes: If there is an underlying medical condition causing your swelling, it is important to address it in order to effectively reduce swelling. This may include addressing imbalances in hormones, gut health, or immune function.
- – Manual therapies such as massage or lymphatic drainage to promote circulation and reduce swelling.
Potential Costs of Swelling
At Spire Health Pathways, we believe that everyone deserves access to high-quality healthcare. We strive to provide transparent pricing and work with our patients to develop personalized treatment plans that fit within their budget.
The cost of functional medicine treatments for swelling will vary depending on the specific treatment plan and the underlying causes of the swelling. We offer flexible payment options and accept most major insurance plans.
Take Control of Your Health with Spire Health Pathways
If you’re experiencing swelling or other symptoms that are affecting your quality of life, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with our team at Spire Health Pathways. Our functional medicine approach can help you get to the root of the problem and develop a personalized treatment plan that supports your overall health and well-being. Contact us today to learn more.
Learn More About Our Services
Lifestyle & Environmental
Autoimmune & Allergic
Neurologic & Mental Health
Spire Health Pathways
“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will instruct his patients in care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.” – Thomas Edison