Conveniently located to serve Denver Metro, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs.
Functional Medicine’s Approach to Diverticulitis
What is Diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis is a condition that occurs when small pouches, called diverticula, form in the wall of the colon and become infected or inflamed. This can cause symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
Types of Diverticulitis
There are two types of diverticulitis:
- Uncomplicated Diverticulitis: This is when the diverticula are inflamed, but not infected.
- Complicated Diverticulitis: This is when the diverticula are inflamed and infected, and may lead to complications such as abscesses, fistulas, or bowel obstruction.
Symptoms of Diverticulitis
Diverticulitis symptoms can vary depending on the severity of the condition. Some common symptoms include:
- Abdominal pain (usually on the left side)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Bloating and gas
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Fever and chills
- Rectal bleeding
- Reduced appetite
How Diverticulitis Affects People’s Lives
Diverticulitis can have a significant impact on a person’s quality of life. The condition can be painful and uncomfortable, and can also cause anxiety and stress. In severe cases, it can lead to hospitalization and even surgery.
Functional Medicine Approach to Treating Diverticulitis
At Spire Health Pathways, we take a comprehensive approach to treating diverticulitis. We focus on identifying and addressing the underlying causes of the condition, rather than just treating the symptoms. Some of the functional medicine treatment options we offer for diverticulitis include:
- – Diet and lifestyle modifications: We work with patients to identify trigger foods and make dietary changes that can help reduce inflammation and improve gut health.
- – Nutritional supplements: We may recommend supplements such as probiotics or digestive enzymes to improve gut health and reduce inflammation.
- – Stress management techniques: Stress can exacerbate diverticulitis symptoms, so we offer stress-reducing techniques such as meditation or yoga to help manage stress levels.
Potential Costs of Diverticulitis
If you’re experiencing symptoms of diverticulitis, don’t hesitate to contact Spire Health Pathways. Our team of functional medicine experts is here to help you find relief and improve your quality of life.
Learn More About Our Services
Lifestyle & Environmental
Autoimmune & Allergic
Neurologic & Mental Health
Spire Health Pathways
“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will instruct his patients in care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.” – Thomas Edison