Conveniently located to serve Denver Metro, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs.
Functional Medicine’s Approach to Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a complex, unpredictable, and often disabling neurological condition that affects millions of people worldwide. At Spire Health Pathways, our team of functional medicine practitioners is dedicated to providing comprehensive, personalized care to individuals living with MS. This webpage aims to educate you about multiple sclerosis, its impact on those affected, and our unique approach to managing the condition.
Understanding Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple sclerosis is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system (CNS), which comprises the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. In MS, the immune system mistakenly attacks the protective covering of nerve fibers, called myelin, resulting in inflammation and damage. This disrupts the normal flow of electrical impulses along the nerves, leading to a wide range of neurological symptoms that can vary greatly among individuals.
Types of Multiple Sclerosis
There are four primary types of MS, which are characterized by their disease course and progression:
- Relapsing-Remitting MS (RRMS): The most common form, characterized by clearly defined relapses (flare-ups) followed by periods of partial or complete recovery (remission).
- Secondary-Progressive MS (SPMS): Typically develops in people who initially have RRMS, marked by a gradual worsening of symptoms with or without periods of remission.
- Primary-Progressive MS (PPMS): Affects a smaller percentage of people with MS and is characterized by a steady worsening of symptoms from the onset without distinct relapses or remissions.
- Progressive-Relapsing MS (PRMS): A rare form of MS marked by steadily progressive disease from the beginning with occasional acute relapses but no periods of remission.
Causes and Risk Factors
The exact cause of multiple sclerosis is unknown, but it is believed to result from a combination of genetic and environmental factors, such as:
- Family history and genetic predisposition
- Viral infections, particularly the Epstein-Barr virus
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Obesity during adolescence
Signs and Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
The signs and symptoms of MS can vary widely depending on the location and extent of nerve damage. Some common symptoms include:
- Muscle weakness or stiffness
- Numbness or tingling in the limbs
- Walking difficulties or balance problems
- Blurred or double vision
- Cognitive problems, such as memory loss or difficulty concentrating
- Dizziness or vertigo
- Bowel and bladder dysfunction
- Pain, often in the form of muscle spasms or neuropathic pain
- Emotional changes, including mood swings, depression, or anxiety
Impact of Multiple Sclerosis on People’s Lives
Spire Health Pathways’ Functional Medicine Approach to Multiple Sclerosis
Our approach begins with a thorough evaluation of your medical history, family history, lifestyle factors, and environmental exposures. This helps us identify potential triggers and underlying imbalances that may contribute to the development or progression of MS.
Personalized Treatment Plan
Based on our comprehensive assessment, we develop a personalized treatment plan tailored to your unique needs and circumstances. This plan may include a combination of dietary modifications, targeted nutritional supplementation, stress reduction techniques, exercise recommendations, and other lifestyle interventions.
Addressing Underlying Imbalances
Our functional medicine approach focuses on addressing underlying imbalances in the immune system, gut health, hormone levels, and other factors that may contribute to MS. By addressing these root causes, we aim to improve overall health and well-being while managing the symptoms of MS.
We believe in a collaborative approach to healthcare, working closely with your existing healthcare providers to ensure the best possible outcomes. This includes coordinating care with neurologists, physical therapists, and other specialists who may be involved in your MS management.
Ongoing Support and Education
Living with multiple sclerosis can be challenging, but our team at Spire Health Pathways is here to support you every step of the way. We provide ongoing education and resources to help you better understand your condition and make informed decisions about your care.
Monitoring and Adjusting
As part of our commitment to personalized care, we continuously monitor your progress and adjust your treatment plan as needed. This allows us to stay responsive to your changing needs and ensure the most effective management of your MS symptoms.
To learn more about our functional medicine approach to multiple sclerosis or to schedule a consultation, please contact us at Spire Health Pathways. We are here to help you on your journey to better health and well-being.
Learn More About Our Services
Lifestyle & Environmental
Autoimmune & Allergic
Neurologic & Mental Health
Spire Health Pathways
“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will instruct his patients in care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.” – Thomas Edison