Conveniently located to serve Denver Metro, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs.
Functional Medicine’s Approach to Nausea
Nausea is a common symptom that can have a variety of causes, ranging from minor discomfort to more serious underlying health conditions. At Spire Health Pathways, we take a functional medicine approach to treating nausea by addressing the root causes of your symptoms and providing personalized treatment plans to help you feel your best.
What is Nausea?
Nausea is an unpleasant sensation that often precedes vomiting. It can be described as a feeling of queasiness or discomfort in the stomach and can be accompanied by other symptoms such as dizziness, lightheadedness, and sweating. Nausea can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Stomach flu or food poisoning
- Motion sickness
- Migraine headaches
- Medication side effects
- Anxiety or stress
- Digestive disorders
- Infections or illnesses
Symptoms of Nausea
Nausea can present itself in several different ways, depending on the underlying cause. Some common symptoms and categories of nausea include:
- Vomiting: the forceful expulsion of stomach contents through the mouth
- Nausea with or without vomiting: feelings of queasiness or discomfort in the stomach, with or without the actual act of vomiting
- Acute nausea: sudden onset of symptoms, usually lasting less than 24 hours
- Chronic nausea: recurring symptoms that last for weeks or months at a time
How Nausea Affects People
Nausea can significantly impact a person’s quality of life, making it difficult to eat, sleep, work, and carry out everyday activities. In some cases, chronic nausea can lead to malnutrition and weight loss. The psychological impact of nausea can also be significant, leading to anxiety and depression.
Functional Medicine Approach to Treating Nausea
At Spire Health Pathways, we take a functional medicine approach to treating nausea, which involves addressing the underlying causes of your symptoms rather than simply treating the symptoms themselves. Our team of experienced practitioners will work with you to identify the root causes of your nausea through a thorough evaluation of your medical history, lifestyle, and symptoms. We may recommend a combination of the following treatments, tailored to your specific needs:
- – Dietary changes: Certain foods and beverages can exacerbate nausea. Our practitioners can work with you to identify and eliminate trigger foods from your diet.
- – Nutritional supplements: Nutritional deficiencies can contribute to nausea. Our practitioners may recommend specific supplements to address deficiencies in your diet.
- – Lifestyle modifications: Stress, lack of sleep, and poor exercise habits can all contribute to nausea. Our practitioners can work with you to implement lifestyle changes to improve your overall health and reduce your symptoms.
- – Medication adjustments: If medication side effects are contributing to your nausea, our practitioners can work with you and your healthcare team to make adjustments to your medication regimen.
- – Acupuncture: Acupuncture can help to alleviate nausea by improving circulation and reducing inflammation in the body.
Potential Costs of Nausea
At Spire Health Pathways, we offer a variety of functional medicine services to help treat nausea. The cost of your treatment plan will depend on your individual needs and the services recommended by your practitioner. We do not accept insurance, but we offer flexible payment options and can work with you to create a plan that fits your budget.
If you’re experiencing nausea and are looking for a more personalized approach to treatment, contact Spire Health Pathways today to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced practitioners.
Learn More About Our Services
Lifestyle & Environmental
Autoimmune & Allergic
Neurologic & Mental Health
Spire Health Pathways
“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will instruct his patients in care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.” – Thomas Edison